National Lottery draws to stream live on Facebook for the first time
National Lottery to create its first ever regular draw show on a digital platform – Saturday night slot will be the first scheduled regular programme on Facebook Live for UK audiences
Camelot, operator of The National Lottery, will broadcast the National Lottery draws using Facebook Live for the first time, from January 2017.
The news, announced today, means existing National Lottery players will be able to easily access live draw show content when, how and where they want – but the move is also designed to appeal to new players and audiences who may traditionally not have watched the results show on TV.
Excitingly, the regular Saturday night slot will also be the first scheduled, ‘appointment to view’ programme on Facebook Live for UK audiences – and National Lottery players will be given the opportunity to watch the live draws at the same time every week as part of an extended Saturday night entertainment offering. The show will feature the latest news from the Lottery world, winners, behind-the-scenes features and special studio guests, with other live events across the year to be announced.
The move reflects Camelot’s long-term digital strategy for innovation and recognises changing consumer viewing habits, which have seen greater use of technology to access content across multiple devices and platforms at home, at work and on the move.
Using Facebook Live, Camelot will give viewers a bespoke, entertaining draw show experience and will be the first place for National Lottery players to get the results – wherever they are. As part of the fresh new content planned, viewers will see a ‘countdown’ to live broadcasts if they access the page before a draw show programme has begun, increasing anticipation and excitement. Camelot will also be able to schedule live content for users and remind people that live draws are coming up.
Tim Copper, Camelot’s Digital Director, said: “We’re delighted to be able to announce our new Facebook digital strategy – being able to offer National Lottery players the chance to watch a live Saturday night draw show within their Facebook feed is a hugely exciting development.
“It means we’ll be able to give players access to the content they want to watch – when, where and how they want to watch it. We know players still love the live draw element of The National Lottery experience, but changing lifestyle habits and trends mean we have to change the way we offer them that experience. This new partnership will deliver exciting, unique, bespoke content to National Lottery players in the palm of their hands.”
- Ends -
For further information, please contact:
Camelot Press Office – 020 7632 5711
Notes to Editors:
- Camelot UK Lotteries Limited is the licensed operator of The National Lottery® and is committed to raising money for National Lottery Good Causes designated by Parliament. Camelot is not responsible for distributing or awarding these funds.
- Each week, Camelot generates over £30 million for National Lottery-funded projects – in total, over £36 billion has now been raised and more than 500,000 individual grants have been made across the UK, the biggest programme of civic and social regeneration since the 19th Century.
- The National Lottery has so far awarded over £61 billion in prizes and created more than 4,400 millionaires or multi-millionaires since its launch in 1994.
- Leading the field of digital lottery innovation and e-commerce, Camelot operates Europe’s largest online lottery in terms of sales. With over eight million registered players, national-lottery.co.uk is also one of the top 10 e-commerce sites in the UK.
- For further information on Camelot, The National Lottery and its games, please visit: www.camelotgroup.co.uk and www.national-lottery.co.uk
- Players of all National Lottery games must be aged 16 or over.