‘I Am Team GB’ wins multiple awards
The UK’s biggest ever sports participation event, ‘I Am Team GB’, staged by The National Lottery and ITV last year, has won three awards at two separate prestigious events.
At the BT Sport Industry Awards, held in London on Thursday 27 April, ‘I Am Team GB’ won Best Sports Participation Event. While on the same night, at the Chartered Institute of Marketing Awards, the campaign to support the event won both Best Integrated Marketing Campaign and Best Partnership Marketing, for the collaboration between The National Lottery, ITV, Team GB and UK Sport.
I Am Team GB was staged on Saturday 27 August 2016, to welcome home Britain’s Olympic heroes, encourage people to get active alongside them and to thank National Lottery players for the part they played in helping to fund the athletes and elite sport. YouGov research commissioned by ITV, The National Lottery and the British Olympic Association revealed that nearly 1 million people took part, making it the nation’s biggest ever sports day.
Arabella Gilchrist, Head of Parent Brand for National Lottery operator Camelot, said: “We’re delighted that I Am Team GB has won these awards – demonstrating what a unique and truly inspiring nationwide event it was. National Lottery players have contributed over £80 million a year to support over 1,300 athletes for sporting success in Rio and beyond. I Am Team GB was devised as way for everyone to participate in sport for a day and as a way of truly thanking National Lottery players for their continued backing. We were thrilled that nearly 1 million people took part and these three awards are recognition for everyone involved in making it happen – they should all be incredibly proud of what they achieved.”
I Am Team GB took place in conjunction with the British Olympic Association (BOA), UK Sport and was supported by Join In. It was also supported by Sport England, Public Health England, parkrun, GLL, Pitchero amongst others.
Notes to editors:
- Survey figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 11,566 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 2nd - 8th September 2016. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all UK adults (aged 16+). Extrapolated figures have been verified by YouGov
- ITV and The National Lottery also surveyed the 2,600 clubs that took part, conducted face to face surveys with attendees at events and an online survey with everyone who had registered on the I Am Team GB website. The results of these supported YouGov’s participation figures.
About Camelot/The National Lottery:
- National Lottery funding plays a key role in the UK’s sporting success, and National Lottery players have contributed over £80 million each year during the four-year build up to Rio.
- To date over 4,500 elite athletes have benefited from National Lottery funding, enabling them to have access to some of the best coaching, facilities and support staff in the world, in their preparations for Rio 2016 and beyond.
- More than £5 billion of National Lottery funding has been invested into grassroots sports, creating opportunities for everyone to get fit. The money has created and upgraded facilities, funded coaches and equipment, and supported initiatives to get more people playing sport.
- Each week, Camelot generates, on average, around £30 million for National Lottery-funded projects – in total £36 billion has now been raised and more than 500,000 individual grants have been made across the UK, the biggest programme of civic and social regeneration since the 19th Century.
- For further information on Camelot, and The National Lottery and its games, please visit: national-lottery.co.uk / camelotgroup.co.uk