News Scratchcard win nets mum £250,000
Manchester Mum, Bernadette Harvieu, is celebrating today after scooping £250,000 on the National Lottery £250,000 Turquoise Scratchcard.
Bernadette is now planning to whisk her family away on a surprise holiday while she decides how to spend the rest of her new found fortune.
The 49 year old from Salford has, however, said she will be donating a large amount of money to cancer charities in memory of her sister in law whom she lost last week and her sister who also suffered from breast cancer.
Bernadette, who has two sons, Andrew and Daniel, bought her winning £250,000 Turquoise Scratchcard card last Saturday (2nd April) from her local convenience store, M & S Kersal, in Edward Avenue .
She added: “I was originally planning to buy two Lucky Dips for the Saturday Lotto draw but decided to get the £250,000 Turquoise Scratchcard instead.
“I don’t know what made me change my mind, perhaps it was fate.
“It was half an hour later when I got home that I discovered I had won.
“I am still in shock now. My son, Andrew, and his girlfriend, Rachel, were with me at the time and we kept looking at the card over and over again, thinking this cannot be right.
“I have won a few times on Scratchcards but nothing on this scale.”
Bernadette will donate to Macmillian and the Christie Charity, which provided support to both her sister in law and sister.
“Both my sister and sister- in- law received so much help from these charities while they were fighting cancer.
“Sadly my sister- in- law passed away last week so I’ll be donating some of my winnings to both charities in her memory as they do such a wonderful job and need all the support they can get to fight this awful illness.”
National Lottery Scratchcards offer players a whole range of instant cash prizes at their fingertips. The £250,000 Turquoise Scratchcard costs £2 and offers overall odds of 1 in 4.45 of winning a prize.
For further information, please contact Jane Woodhead or Jessica Noon at Paver Smith – Camelot’s regional PR agency: 0151 239 5000/07912661050.
- Camelot UK Lotteries Limited is the licensed operator of The National Lottery and is committed to raising money for the Good Causes designated by Parliament. Camelot is not responsible for distributing or awarding these funds
- To date, over £25 billion has been raised for the Good Causes by The National Lottery, and more than 350,000 individual awards have been made across the UK – benefiting both large and small projects spanning arts, sports, heritage, charities, health, education and the environment. The National Lottery has given away over £38 billion in prizes and created more than 2,600 millionaires or multi-millionaires since launch in 1994
- For further information on Camelot, The National Lottery and its games, please visit the following websites: www.camelotgroup.co.uk and www.national-lottery.co.uk
- Players of all National Lottery games must be aged 16 or over
- The crossed fingers logo is the registered trademark of the National Lottery Commission.